The second anniversary of Hurricane Harvey is Sunday, Aug. 25. This weekend will be filled with activities from groundbreakings and ribbon cuttings, to a walk/run, a block party, and a special message and video, which will be aired at some local churches.
Planned activities are:
Friday, Aug. 23
• 11-11:45 a.m. - Saltgrass Landing Apartments groundbreaking ceremony (1602 S. Church St.)
Saturday, Aug. 24
• 7:30-10:30 a.m. - St. Peter’s Episcopal Church (555 Enterprise Blvd.) will celebrate a First Responders Breakfast. It is a come-and-go, eat-on-site, or carryout option.
• 8 a.m. - Harvey Encore 5K fun run and 1.5-mile walk. Meet at the Daily Grind in downtown Rockport. https://forms.gle/FRcZ6gWDpaSVHyqy5
• 8 a.m. - Camp Aranzazu Camp Care Day - Volunteers will help with light duty maintenance and landscaping projects at the non-profit special needs camp on FM 1781. The camp covers 104 acres and has 32 different buildings/structures. Camp Aranzazu will supply lunch. If one would like to volunteer or has questions, email Bianca Hernandez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• 10:30 a.m. - Fulton Pier groundbreaking ceremony - Meet at the pier at Fulton Navigation Park. https://www.facebook.com/thetownoffulton/
• 11 a.m. - Rockport Cultural Arts District (RCAD) and Rockport Little Theatre (RLT) downtown Rockport Event - Come to downtown Rockport and check out the vendors, food trucks, non-profit booths, and children’s activities. A movie in Kids Alley will be shown at dusk. https://www.facebook.com/events/483888025489452/
• 1-4 p.m. - Open House and Dedication of the new Hands of Hope building at First Baptist Church (Building D) – The dedication is set for 2 p.m. This will be a “working” dedication, providing intakes in addition to Catholic Charities and Habitat for Humanity. https://www.facebook.com/rockporthandsofhope/
• 6 p.m. - 10 p.m. - Harvey Encore Block Party - The band “Viral Rock” hits the stage at 6 p.m. and will play until 10 p.m. Everyone is encouraged to bring a chair. The RLT and the RCAD will man a beer and wine tent all day. For more information, visit www.RockportCulturalArtsDistrict.com and click on events.
Sunday, Aug. 25
• Attend the church of your choice for a special reflection and video message. Participating churches include First Baptist Church, St. Peters Episcopal Church, and First United Methodist Church. One can contact his or her church to see if it will be showing the video message.
• 10 a.m. - Harvey Anniversary tree planting ceremony. Meet at Memorial Park (1601 FM 2165/Pearl Street). Join City of Rockport, Arbor Day Foundation, and Texas Forest Service representatives for the ceremony. Visit www.cityofrockport.com or call (361) 727-2158 for more details.
Monday, Aug. 26
• 11 a.m. - Hurricane Harvey Agency Update - FEMA, TDEM the GLO, and other community leaders will provide agency updates at the Public Safety Center (714 E. Concho) covering the first two years of recovery.
Assistance still available
Assistance for those still needing help is available from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursdays at the Aquarium Education Center at Rockport Harbor. Also, those with rebuilding expenses can contact the GLO Homeowner Reimbursement Program (HRP) at 1-844-893-8937. For those applying for the Homeowner Assistance Program (HAP), call (512) 992-0634 or (844) 893-8937. One can also call the Long Term Recovery office for help and assistance at (361) 790-9496 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/aransascountypathwaytorecovery/