There is still time, and a lot of money left on the table for new homes funded through the Homeowner Assistance Program (HAP). DSW Homes out of Galveston, which is under contract with the General Land Office (GLO) to build the two bedroom, two bath homes through HAP, leveled another structure Wednesday, July 31 in preparation for building a new home for Randy and Sandy Jumper.
The GLO will give the keys to Donnie and Linda Mikulenka, the new owners of a recently completed HAP home, at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 7. The home is located at 204 N. Gagon St.
The HAP rehabilitates and reconstructs eligible homes Hurricane Harvey damaged.
• If one owns a single family home that was damaged by Hurricane Harvey he or she may be eligible for HAP funds. Homes must have been owned and occupied at the time of the disaster.
• There is no minimum damage amount, but the home must have damage from Harvey to be eligible for assistance.
• There is no cost to apply or to receive assistance. Homeowners will sign a three-year unsecured, forgivable promissory note.
• If a home has less than $65,000 of damage it may qualify for rehabilitation; if more than $65,000, reconstruction.
• Awards are made on a first eligible first served basis.
• Homeowners must relocate themselves and their belongings during the 90-120 day construction period.
About the Homeowner Assistance Program (HAP)
The GLO allocated $1.334 billion in Community Development Block Grants for Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), for rehabilitation and reconstruction of thousands of owner-occupied single-family homes damaged by Hurricane Harvey.
More than 1,300 applications have been received in the Coastal Bend Region, which includes Aransas, Bee, Jim Wells, Kleberg, Nueces, Refugio, and San Patricio counties.
Nearly $145 million has been allocated by the GLO for rebuilding efforts in the area.
Potential applicants can find in person assistance at regional offices, or at the Rockport satellite office located in Live Oak Plaza on Business Highway 35 (suite closest to Popeye’s Fried Chicken).
Potential applicants should review the HAP checklist to have all applicable documents ready prior to applying. Interested homeowners should visit http://recovery.texas.gov/hap to apply online or download a printable version of the application.
For assistance, interested participants can also call 1-844-893-8937.